Once the socks get stuffed in the drawers and the closed-toed shoes and boots get tossed to the back of the closet, and the bare feet, sandals and strappy stilettos come out for some fun in the sun, most people opt for pedicures at the spa instead of going for a facial. I’d like to suggest that getting a customized facial in the summer is definitely worth the investment also.
Our complexion changes with the seasons and it’s important to adjust your skincare routine to reflect the current environmental conditions. Your skin may have been dry and dehydrated this past winter because of low temperatures and cold winds mixed with heat from furnaces. But now, with the extra sun exposure and heat and increased activity, your skin may be turning more oily, or sensitive or may have more breakouts than usual.
How is a person supposed to keep up with all of these fluctuations and variations? The answer — having a facial. A facial with a professional esthetician will help clear up any outstanding issues you may be having with your skin this summer.
What is a Facial?
A facial treatment is a professional service designed to improve and rejuvenate the skin on the face, neck, shoulders and decolleté. Getting regular facials will definitely and noticeably improve your skin’s appearance and texture.
The Benefits of Getting a Facial
There are many benefits associated with getting a facial and they all come back to managing stress. Stress itself isn’t the bad guy — it’s the amount of stress and the way you deal with it that makes a difference in your life. For example, stress is one of the aggravating factors of acne but if you learn how to reduce the stress in your life with healthy habits such as getting regular facials and eating nutritious food and exercising daily, you will significantly improve the tone of your skin. And you’ll feel so much better.
Getting a facial also gives you a chance to try out a particular skin care product line to see how it behaves on your skin, before you purchase it. I think that’s a wise approach. Ask me which skincare line I use in my Homespunspa facials and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
The benefits of a Facial include:
- Maintaining healthy skin and having radiant-looking skin;
- Correcting certain skin conditions such as overexposure to Ultraviolet Rays from the sun;
- Treating conditions such as dryness, oiliness or redness;
- Deep cleansing and releasing environmental pollution like smog that may be trapped in your pores;
- Exfoliation and Refinement which makes your skin feel smoother and softer;
- Increasing circulation;
- Relaxation of the body and mind through massage and aromatherapy;
- Stimulation of metabolism;
- Looking younger and more beautiful;
- Slowing down premature aging and softening lines and wrinkles;
- Helping clear up blemishes and minor acne;
- Reducing stress;
- Sleeping better at night.
What to expect from a Facial
When you come to a spa for a facial, you’ll be asked to fill out a confidential questionnaire and change into a gown and remove your jewellery and socks and shoes. You may also get a foot soak. Then you’ll lie down on a facial bed. You and your esthetician will talk about your needs and concerns and then both of you will determine the best course of action for your skin.
Steps in a Facial
- Make up removal and Cleansing;
- Skin Analysis;
- Refinement Masque (Exfoliation);
- Skin Balancing;
- Hand, Foot, Neck, Shoulder and Facial Massages;
- Treatment Masque & Serums; and
- Moisturization and Sun Protection.
You may also receive extra services like: detoxification massage, pressure point massage, attention around your eyes, extractions, or make up application, etc. On top of all of that, you’ll also learn a lot about your own skin and how to take care of it and which products and services will benefit you the most.