Cupping therapy is an ancient form of alternative medicine rooting back to Ancient Egypt, although cupping is a part of many ancient healing systems, including Chinese, Korean, Tibetan and more! Cupping Therapy is when a therapist uses special cups on your skin to create suction. This promotes blood flow to the compromised area, enhances circulation and helps to increase the body’s own healing processes — almost like a backward deep tissue massage.
Cupping is an effective technique to get rid of muscle tension in your lower back; neck and shoulder aches; tension headaches and loosen off tight ‘knots’. While we all have organs that remove toxins from our blood, cupping gives your body a boost in releasing those toxins by physically suctioning them out of your tissues. Focused blood flow helps your body by flushing built-up toxins move through the lymphatic system.
These are a few of the many benefits of cupping:
- Increased Circulation – The suction from the cups increases circulation to the area where the cups are placed. The additional blood flow to that area can help relieve muscle tension and promote cell repair.
- Reduced Cellulite – You know… The dimples on the back of your thighs that women hate to see. Increased blood flow and suction of tissue can help reduce the formation of cellulite!
- The Release of Toxins – As mentioned earlier, increased and focused blood flow helps your body flush out toxins – Make sure to drinks lots and lots of water after your session to aid in this process!
- Reduce stretch marks and scars – Increased blood flow enables your body to dispose of toxins, restores lymphatic circulation, and helps remove edema, reducing the appearance of scarring.
- Improve Varicose Veins – Varicose veins happen when the valves inside the vein are not working properly, the valves don’t effectively push the blood from the muscles back to the heart. Cupping helps by bringing the fresh blood flow and oxygen back to the problem areas.
- Clear congestion & helps to treat asthma – The suction from cups breaks up and expels congestion. Bringing oxygen rich blood and lymph toward your lungs and your other respiratory muscles.
Many believe that cupping improves the flow of energy in the body and facilitates healing. That the suction helps balance the yin and yang, or the negative and positive, within your body. Restoring balance between these two extremes is thought to help the body’s resistance to pathogens as well as its ability to increase blood flow and reduce pain.
Wondering if cupping could work for you? Ask your therapist during your next massage session. Our therapists have been trained and certified in safe and effective cupping techniques. You can choose to have a cupping-only session or add cupping on to your deep tissue massage.