Winter is coming and before you know it the cold weather will be here. During this time of year, many people begin to feel run down, tired, depressed, and to top it off they have dry skin! If your skin becomes too dry it can lead to flaky, red patches that are not only uncomfortable but embarrassing as well. Thankfully there are a few tips that you can follow in order to help prevent such symptoms from occurring during these colder months…
1. Stay hydrated – drinking enough water is vital for healthy looking skin, it keeps the cells plump and full of moisture which in turn reduces fine lines and wrinkles
2. Load up on fruit & veg – eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables will ensure that your body gets all the nutrients it needs to fight off colds, coughs & flus over the winter months
3. Modify Facial Skin-Care Regiment – During the winter months, choose cream-based cleansers, and apply toners and astringents sparingly, if at all. Use a natural face scrub or exfoliator once or twice a week throughout this time
4. Moisturize frequently – Keep your hands well moisturized during this time too! Applying a hand cream after each washing can help, also wearing waterproof gloves when washing dishes or cleaning around the house.
5. Lower the thermostat – When it is chilly outside, the first thing most of us want to do is crank up the heat. But central heat can make the air in your house even more dry. Try setting the thermostat at a cool yet comfortable setting (68-72 F) to maintain healthy skin.
6. Limit shower time and temperature – It can be tempting to take a long, steamy shower, but your skin will be much better served with a 5-to-10-minute lukewarm shower (or bath)
7. Invest in a Humidifier – Using a humidifier in your home or office will add moisture to dry winter air and help keep skin hydrated.
8. Fragrance-Free cleansers – The wrong soap can worsen itchy, dry skin. For instance, regular bar soaps may contain irritating ingredients and fragrances. Instead wash with a fragrance-free, moisturizing cleanser or gel.
9. Sunscreen – It’s not just for summer months! On bright winter days, snow reflects the sun’s rays – up to 80%, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation. That means whether you are out on the slopes, playing in the snow, or just walking through a parking lot on an errand run, it is just as important to be applying sunscreen in the harsh winter months.
Give your skin what it needs – Winter air has a way of drying out skin, leaving it raw and red. Even with at-home moisturizers, your skin can still look and feel dry. Facials offer professional skincare, which penetrates into the layers of your skin, allowing your face to calm down redness and irritation and regain its healthy summer glow.
7 reasons we recommend winter facials:
- Deep hydration
- Professional grade exfoliation
- Increased circulation
- Vitamin and antioxidant infusion
- Cleaned out pores and blackheads
- Expert insight
So, whether you are traveling to someplace cold this winter or sticking around the Midwest, we wish you beautiful, hydrated skin all winter long. To schedule your facials or other appointment, book online today!